Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default select value in table based on values entered in multiple cells

I'm trying to find a formula that will verify the value in many cells within
a row and select a value in a table based on the values entered for those
cells within the row.

in one column, I indicate if the piece of wood in 4/4 or 5/4 in another
column, I indicate the type of wood and finally in another column, I indicate
the quality of wood.

Based on these 3 criterias, I would like to find the appropriate price
(within a table created on a separate tab) based on these criterias.

I'm a bit new to the usage of formulas and can't find the appropriate
formula to use
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is how I would do it:

table layout:
A B C D E
Size Type Quality SizeTypeQuality Price

The formula in column d:

=a1&b1&c1 Copy Down

So in another worksheet:
A B C D2
1 Size Type Quality Price
2

Enter the variables in row 2

The formula in d2:
=vlookup(a2&b2&c2,'Table'!D1:E12,2,false)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe...

Saved from a previous post:

If you want exact matches for just two columns (and return a value from a
third), you could use:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100),0))

(all in one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

This returns the value in othersheet column C when column A and B (of
othersheet) match A2 and B2 of the sheet with the formula.

And you can add more conditions by just adding more stuff to that product
portion of the formula:

=index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)
*(c2=othersheet!$c$1:$c$100),0))

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default select value in table based on values entered in multiple cell

Hi Dave,

It took a while to get your suggestion to work, but it works fine.

First of all, I modified the table to suit the proposed match formula and I
change all the (,) in the formula and replaced by (;).

Thanks a lot, I had spent quite a few hours trying to figure this out.

Cheers

Claude