-   -   select value in table based on values entered in multiple cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/210275-select-value-table-based-values-entered-multiple-cells.html)

claudard64

select value in table based on values entered in multiple cells

I'm trying to find a formula that will verify the value in many cells within
a row and select a value in a table based on the values entered for those
cells within the row.

in one column, I indicate if the piece of wood in 4/4 or 5/4 in another
column, I indicate the type of wood and finally in another column, I indicate
the quality of wood.

Based on these 3 criterias, I would like to find the appropriate price
(within a table created on a separate tab) based on these criterias.

I'm a bit new to the usage of formulas and can't find the appropriate
formula to use

dan dungan

select value in table based on values entered in multiple cells

This is how I would do it:

table layout:
A B C D E
Size Type Quality SizeTypeQuality Price

The formula in column d:

=a1&b1&c1 Copy Down

So in another worksheet:
A B C D2
1 Size Type Quality Price
2

Enter the variables in row 2

The formula in d2:
=vlookup(a2&b2&c2,'Table'!D1:E12,2,false)

Dave Peterson

select value in table based on values entered in multiple cells

Maybe...

Saved from a previous post:

If you want exact matches for just two columns (and return a value from a
third), you could use:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100),0))

(all in one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

This returns the value in othersheet column C when column A and B (of
othersheet) match A2 and B2 of the sheet with the formula.

And you can add more conditions by just adding more stuff to that product
portion of the formula:

=index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)
*(c2=othersheet!$c$1:$c$100),0))

--

Dave Peterson

claudard64

select value in table based on values entered in multiple cell

Hi Dave,

It took a while to get your suggestion to work, but it works fine.

First of all, I modified the table to suit the proposed match formula and I
change all the (,) in the formula and replaced by (;).

Thanks a lot, I had spent quite a few hours trying to figure this out.

Cheers

Claude