Amr Abul Laban

Default How to lookup multiple values and summing them up in one cell

I'd like to combine a sumif and vlookup function. Basically I want to lookup
a "Name" in a table and sum up the corresponding grades (multiple cells) in
another table. Can anyone help. Thanks
Duke Carey

Excel can most probably do what you want, however, to get the best advice
from the people here you probably ought to give us abetter idea of how your
data is structured and just exactly what you are trying/wanting to do

"Amr Abul Laban" wrote:

I'd like to combine a sumif and vlookup function. Basically I want to lookup
a "Name" in a table and sum up the corresponding grades (multiple cells) in
another table. Can anyone help. Thanks

CLR

You can use a regular Vlookup formula, and instead of returning a value, you
can return a formula (or actually the result thereof).........the formula
can be in the second column of your table and actually only the result of
the formula will show there.......

A1= a
B1= =VLOOKUP(A1,G1:H5,2,FALSE)
G1=a, G2=b, G3=c, G4=d, G5=e
H1= =SUM(I1:K1), and copy down to H5

Then, B1 will return the sum of I1:K1........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Amr Abul Laban" <Amr Abul wrote in message
I'd like to combine a sumif and vlookup function. Basically I want to

lookup
a "Name" in a table and sum up the corresponding grades (multiple cells)

in
another table. Can anyone help. Thanks

Amr Abul Laban

Thanks for the quick reply. I just figured it out. Unbelievable how it took
me so long to come up with a simple formula. But thanks again, I didn't
imagine that someone would reply this quickly. I will have to use this
resource more often. Thank you very much and greetings from Frankfurt am
Main. Cheers

"Amr Abul Laban" wrote:

I'd like to combine a sumif and vlookup function. Basically I want to lookup
a "Name" in a table and sum up the corresponding grades (multiple cells) in
another table. Can anyone help. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ari Ari is offline

What was the exact formular you used to figure this out? That is combining
sumif with a vlookup formular?

Thanks.

"Amr Abul Laban" wrote:

I'd like to combine a sumif and vlookup function. Basically I want to lookup
a "Name" in a table and sum up the corresponding grades (multiple cells) in
another table. Can anyone help. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may refer to the following

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Amr Abul Laban" wrote:

I'd like to combine a sumif and vlookup function. Basically I want to
lookup
a "Name" in a table and sum up the corresponding grades (multiple cells)
in
another table. Can anyone help. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

reply to CLR

thanks for that info. but one condition i will add,
what if that cell a1 has 2 or more same. their value should be add up.
i hope you get my clarification.
thanks in advance.

--
xxxJessexxx