Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting a Cell with a Symbol

I am using an * for identification purposes, is there a way to highlight the
cell each time an * is entered?

Thank you for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the reply, I am almost there with the instructions you provided,
but I don't quite have it. My spreadsheet has multiple cells with a date and
an asterisk*, example 2/2/08*, I need to highlight the existing cells with
dates and asterisks* as well as have the cell highlight automatically anytime
a date and asterisk* is entered.

"daynek" wrote in message
I am using an * for identification purposes, is there a way to highlight
the
cell each time an * is entered?

Thank you for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, try this. Instead of using cell value equal to, use formula is

Assume the range starts in A1 going to A100 (adapt accordingly to fit your
range of data)

Select A1:A100

formatconditional formattingformula is

=ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A1))

click the format button and select high light pattern colour and click OK
twice

Peo Sjoblom