Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom[_2_] Peo Sjoblom[_2_] is offline

Default Formatting a Cell with a Symbol

OK, try this. Instead of using cell value equal to, use formula is

Assume the range starts in A1 going to A100 (adapt accordingly to fit your
range of data)

Select A1:A100

formatconditional formattingformula is

=ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A1))

click the format button and select high light pattern colour and click OK
twice

Peo Sjoblom

"daynek" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, I am almost there with the instructions you
provided,
but I don't quite have it. My spreadsheet has multiple cells with a date
and
an asterisk*, example 2/2/08*, I need to highlight the existing cells with
dates and asterisks* as well as have the cell highlight automatically
anytime
a date and asterisk* is entered.
"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Select the range,do formatconditional formatting, cell value equal to
select pattern and colour and click OK twice

Peo Sjoblom

"daynek" wrote in message
I am using an * for identification purposes, is there a way to highlight
the
cell each time an * is entered?

Thank you for your assistance.