Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional formatting doesn't want to cooperate

C7 is 38,211
D7 is -2,109

D7 is conditionally formatted as follows:
Formula is: =(D7/C7(-0.1)<0)

(It should turn yellow. It doesn't)

Am I missing an operator of sorts before the last <0?

TIA for ideas.

Pierre
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tell us what this means to you
=(D7/C7(-0.1)<0)

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Pierre" wrote in message
C7 is 38,211
D7 is -2,109

D7 is conditionally formatted as follows:
Formula is: =(D7/C7(-0.1)<0)

(It should turn yellow. It doesn't)

Am I missing an operator of sorts before the last <0?

TIA for ideas.

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know what you are trying to do with your formula, but what you are
actually doing is firstly testing to see whether D7/C7 is greater than -0.1.
This will return either TRUE or FALSE. You are then testing whether the
TRUE or FALSE is less than zero. Neither of them is less than zero, so the
complete formula will always return FALSE, and hence you won't satisfy your
conditional formatting test.
--
David Biddulph

"Pierre" wrote in message
C7 is 38,211
D7 is -2,109

D7 is conditionally formatted as follows:
Formula is: =(D7/C7(-0.1)<0)

(It should turn yellow. It doesn't)

Am I missing an operator of sorts before the last <0?

TIA for ideas.

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Looking at it again, I wonder whether the OP might have intended
=AND(D7/C7-0.1,D7/C7<0)
Was this what you wanted?

As an alternative, you could presumably have had Cell Value Is/
Between/ -0.1*C7 / and/ 0
but that wouldn't be quite the same as I think Excel treats "between" ion
this context as being inclusive of the limit values.
--
David Biddulph

"Pierre" wrote in message
C7 is 38,211
D7 is -2,109

D7 is conditionally formatted as follows:
Formula is: =(D7/C7(-0.1)<0)

(It should turn yellow. It doesn't)

Am I missing an operator of sorts before the last <0?

TIA for ideas.

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Pierre" wrote in message

C7 is 38,211
D7 is -2,109

D7 is conditionally formatted as follows:
Formula is: =(D7/C7(-0.1)<0)

(It should turn yellow. *It doesn't)

Am I missing an operator of sorts before the last <0?

TIA for ideas.

Pierre- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for both replies:

Lets try from scratch:
B7 is 40,320
C7 is 38,211
D7 is (2,109)
Looking to shade D7 if it's value is between zero and "up to a minus
10% difference" between the values in B and C.
We started with
=(D7/C7(-0.1)<0)

Thanks again for ideas, and education.

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try
=AND(D7=0,D7=(B7-C7)*0.1)
This requires D7 to be positive, and have a value = 10% of (B7-C7)
The later is the same as minus the diff C7-B7
best wishes