Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Rookie needs help

I have 40 groups. I need to enter a four digit number for each.
There are 12 numbers, so many groups will be duplicate numbers.
Is there any way I can enter a number or letter and have the
4 digit number substituted into my sheet?
Like this
a=2323
b=4356
c=4653
Then the number will appear on the sheet.
Thanks for any assistance
Skip
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put your letters in consecutive cells down a column, then enter the numbers
in the cells to the right of each letter. Now select the entire range of
letters & numbers and use Insert-Names-Create and check "Left column."

Now each letter is a named range corresponding to the number. You'll have
to enter

=a

or
=f

rather than just the letter, but that's pretty easy

"Skip" wrote:

I have 40 groups. I need to enter a four digit number for each.
There are 12 numbers, so many groups will be duplicate numbers.
Is there any way I can enter a number or letter and have the
4 digit number substituted into my sheet?
Like this
a=2323
b=4356
c=4653
Then the number will appear on the sheet.
Thanks for any assistance
Skip

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Alternatively, you may want read up on the VLOOKUP() function

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com