Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup Multiple Values

My first question is I want to lookup multiple values in the worksheet. In my
specific problem, I want to lookup three and four cells to find their matched
resultant cell.
For three lookups:
I have in one cells type of products, in second the manufacturers of that
products and in the last their capacities. How can I get the product
dimension.
A B C D
Type Manufacturer Capacities Dimensions
1 Steam Fired York 1000
2 Steam Fired York 2000
3 Steam Fired Carrier 1000
4 Steam Fired Carrier 2000
5 Steam Fired Trane 1000
6 Steam Fired Trane 2000
7 Electrical Carrier 2000
8 Electrical York 2000
9 Electrical Carrier 1000
10 Electrical Carrier 2000
11 Electrical Trane 1000
12 Electrical Trane 2000

I have used INDEX formula nested with MATCH as:

=INDEX(A1:D12,(MATCH(E1,A1:A12,0)*MATCH(F1,B1:B12, 0)*MATCH(G1,C1:C12,0)),4)

This formula give to me right answer till 4 rows, after that either it gives
random values or error.

My second question is I want make list through validation in cells E1, F1
and G1 in such a manner that when I select from the list one of the types, it
give me the manufacturers of selected type of equipments. After selection of
both type and manufacturer, it gives their matched capacities as every
manufacturer and type have different capacities.

Please help me to find the solutions,

Regards,
Zubair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For your first question try this array formula** :

=INDEX(D1:D12,MATCH(1,(A1:A12=E1)*(B1:B12=F1)*(C1: C12=G1),0))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

Not sure I understand your second question.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Zubair" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A12=E1),--(B1:B12=F1),--(C1:C12=G1),D1:D12)

This assumes that each record (row) is unique
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Zubair" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Part 2:
Click on E1
Use Data | Data Validation
In the dialog, specify List and use A1:A12 are the Source
Similar for other two cells
best wishes
--

"Zubair" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your formulas for lookup not working.
For data validation, I have no problem in E1. F1 is linked with E1 in the
sense that one type have two manufacturers and others have three or four with
diferent brands. And finally I in G1, I want the matched capacity of type and
manufacturer, which are all different, like york chillers are in capacities
of 2000, 3000, 4000 while carrier chillers are of 2050, 3015,4060. I want all
these data validation are interlinked with each other.

"Zubair" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK for question 1.
In cell E1 I just did list through data validation the types of chillers
like gas fired, electric and steam. In F1, I want to retrieve such a list in
which when I select gas fired, it give to me the names of gasfired
manufacturers and like wise. And in G1, I want just the capacities of both
matched cell (E1 and F1) as the capacities of every manufacturer and type is
different or for some types such capacities are not available, therefore I
don't want to see those names in the list.

"Zubair" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like you want dependent drop downs. See this:

http://contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP