Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Summing it up

I am trying to add up a column that has conditional formulas and all I get is
"0" for the total ... how do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Violet 1" wrote:
I am trying to add up a column that has conditional
formulas and all I get is "0" for the total ...
how do I do this?

What are you doing now? And why do you think zero is the wrong result?
Hint: post some of the conditional formulas, as well as the formula "to add
up" the column.

If your conditional formulas are of the following form (e.g. in A1 and A2):

=if(condition, "123", "")
=if(condition, "456", "")

and you see 123 and 456 in those cell, =A1+A2 would result in the sum (579),
but =SUM(A1:A2) would result in zero.

In this case, the root cause would be that you are returning text ("123")
instead of numbers (123).

Whether or not that has anything to do with your problem is wild speculation.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

the formula that is in the column to be added is =IF(O27=0,"","8")
the formula to add up that column is =SUM(V27:V42)
I tried =sum(V27,V28,etc.) to no avail
Also tried =sum(V27+V28 etc.) and got #VALUE! for the answer.

" wrote:

"Violet 1" wrote:
I am trying to add up a column that has conditional
formulas and all I get is "0" for the total ...
how do I do this?

What are you doing now? And why do you think zero is the wrong result?
Hint: post some of the conditional formulas, as well as the formula "to add
up" the column.

If your conditional formulas are of the following form (e.g. in A1 and A2):

=if(condition, "123", "")
=if(condition, "456", "")

and you see 123 and 456 in those cell, =A1+A2 would result in the sum (579),
but =SUM(A1:A2) would result in zero.

In this case, the root cause would be that you are returning text ("123")
instead of numbers (123).

Whether or not that has anything to do with your problem is wild speculation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(O27=0,"","8") returns the text value 8.
To get the number 8 change the formula to:
=IF(O27=0,"",8)
Then you sum formula should work.

tom