Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Nat Nat is offline

Default I need a cell (to show Mar-09) it automatically goes to Mar-08

Trying to format the column, I type in 3/09 wanting it to show Mar-09 and it
automatically goes to Mar-08
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

3/9/2009
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Nat" wrote in message
Trying to format the column, I type in 3/09 wanting it to show Mar-09 and
it
automatically goes to Mar-08

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Don is correct, of course. But why? If you check your formula bar after
you type 3/09 you will see that Excel figured you ment 3/9/2008. Excel has
to guess what the 9 means - the month or the year, it goes for month and
assumes the current year. If you typed 3/32 excel would know this could not
be a day of the month so it would assume you wanted the first, 3/1/1932.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Nat" wrote:

Trying to format the column, I type in 3/09 wanting it to show Mar-09 and it
automatically goes to Mar-08

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

.. type in 3/09 wanting it to show Mar-09 and it
automatically goes to Mar-08

Always be unambiguous when it comes to dates
Enter the whole date (including the YEAR)
--
Max
Singapore