Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JAD JAD is offline

Default EDATE Function

I have a worksheet that contains (3) columns of date information; Start Date,
Number of Months, End Date. To calculate the End Date, I am using the EDATE
function that is not outputting the answer I am expecting. As an example of
what EDATE reports, here are some examples.
Start Date # of Months End
Date
Example 1 Nov-10 (16) May-09
Example 2 Nov-10 (12) Nov-09
Example 3 Nov-10 (18) May-10
Example 4 Nov-10 (18) Nov-10

Can anyone tell me why EDATE is reporting incorrect data and how I might be
able to fix it? Your response would be appreciated. Thank You, JAD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think your source data is not entered in the proper format and/or result is
not formatted properly... assuming EDATE is wrong... it should give the same
result for row 3 and 4...

This is what I get with your inputs
1-Jul-09
1-Nov-09
1-May-09
1-May-09

I entered 1-Nov-2009 for the FROM date...

"JAD" wrote:

I have a worksheet that contains (3) columns of date information; Start Date,
Number of Months, End Date. To calculate the End Date, I am using the EDATE
function that is not outputting the answer I am expecting. As an example of
what EDATE reports, here are some examples.
Start Date # of Months End
Date
Example 1 Nov-10 (16) May-09
Example 2 Nov-10 (12) Nov-09
Example 3 Nov-10 (18) May-10
Example 4 Nov-10 (18) Nov-10

Can anyone tell me why EDATE is reporting incorrect data and how I might be
able to fix it? Your response would be appreciated. Thank You, JAD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:29:01 -0700, JAD wrote:

I have a worksheet that contains (3) columns of date information; Start Date,
Number of Months, End Date. To calculate the End Date, I am using the EDATE
function that is not outputting the answer I am expecting. As an example of
what EDATE reports, here are some examples.
Start Date # of Months End
Date
Example 1 Nov-10 (16) May-09
Example 2 Nov-10 (12) Nov-09
Example 3 Nov-10 (18) May-10
Example 4 Nov-10 (18) Nov-10

Can anyone tell me why EDATE is reporting incorrect data and how I might be
able to fix it? Your response would be appreciated. Thank You, JAD

Most likely, there is a discrepancy between what your are seeing in the cells,
and what is truly there.

Instead of posting what you have, it would be much more useful if you posted
the actual contents of the cells (as seen in the formula bar). And also, for
the start dates, the cell format at the time you entered the data.

--ron