Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to MATCH or VLOOKUP & copy using 2 excel files

In excel2007, I'm having 2 files. In file#1, in Sheet1, Column A contains
some names. In file#2, in Sheet1, Column D contains same (Case Matching)
names but in DIFFERENT ORDERS & Column E contains some numerical values
against each names.
In file#1, in Sheet1, in Column H, How to get the same numerical values
(Column E of file#2) against the names in Column A?
Note: File#2, Column D may contain ADDITIONAL names also(for which there is
some value in Column E).

Please help without VBA i.e. thr' excel functions
Sandeep

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Madhu for replying so fast. Let me put total thing in prospective:

There are 2 excel files: A.xls & B.xls
In file B.xls in Sheet1, there are 5 columns F,G,H,I &J
F, I, J = contains Name
G & H = contains numerical values

Now, In file A.xls, in Sheet1, I write names in Column A.
I want: If the name written by me in Column A (in A.xls) matches exactly
(Case Sensitive) as Column F (in B.xls), it should produce results as follows:
Column B (in A.xls)=Column G (of B.xls)
Column C (in A.xls)=Column H (of B.xls)
Column D (in A.xls)=Column I (of B.xls)
Column E (in A.xls)=Column J (of B.xls)

Please reply.
Sandeep

"muddan madhu" wrote:

try this

=INDEX(Sheet2!$E$2:$E$10,MATCH("*"&Sheet1!A2&"*",S heet2!$D$2:$D$10,0))

On Oct 23, 7:45 am, Sandeep wrote:
In excel2007, I'm having 2 files. In file#1, in Sheet1, Column A contains
some names. In file#2, in Sheet1, Column D contains same (Case Matching)
names but in DIFFERENT ORDERS & Column E contains some numerical values
against each names.
In file#1, in Sheet1, in Column H, How to get the same numerical values
(Column E of file#2) against the names in Column A?
Note: File#2, Column D may contain ADDITIONAL names also(for which there is
some value in Column E).

Please help without VBA i.e. thr' excel functions
Sandeep

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi dude,

I didn't check your reply, sorry for that

in worksheet A.xls - Cell A2 you will type the name ( assumed that
data is in sheet 1 of the file mentioned above by you )

in cell B2 put this formula =INDEX([B.xls]Sheet1!$G$2:$G$20,MATCH($A2,
[B.xls]Sheet1!$F$2:$F$20,0))

in cell C2 put this formula =INDEX([B.xls]Sheet1!$H$2:$H$20,MATCH($A2,
[B.xls]Sheet1!$F$2:$F$20,0))

in cell D2 put this formula =INDEX([B.xls]Sheet1!$I$2:$I$20,MATCH($A2,
[B.xls]Sheet1!$F$2:$F$20,0))

in cell E2 put this formula =INDEX([B.xls]Sheet1!$J$2:$J$20,MATCH($A2,
[B.xls]Sheet1!$F$2:$F$20,0))

If you find any difficulties or u need more assistance then you can
also send your query to me -