Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I match data from two separate files in excel

I am trying to analyse financial data for two different periods. Period one
will have say, 10 people with a value. Period 2 will have say 14 people with
a value.
However some people in period 1 will have no value in period 2 and also some
people in period 2 were new in period 1 and so did not exist in period 1.

If I have two separate files for each period (i.e. period 1 has people and a
value and similarly for period 2), how can I create a list with column 1
being for all people form both periods and showing their values for periods 1
and 2 in columns 2 and 3 therefore enabling me to anylyse any trends
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are a number of methods depending on how often you want to do
this, how much data, what you are going to do with the results.

Options include:
1. (neat and good for large volumes of data)
set up the spreadsheets as linked tables in access and then use a query
to join the information together

2. like 1 but only for the technical do the same as 1 but useing ado in
macro to populate another sheet (or workbook)

3. Simply
make a list of all the employees on a new sheet. use vlookup (this site
has plenty of info on how to use vlookup) to pull in data for the other
columns.

4. moderately complex (but all excel)
a macro to merge the two sets of data

Let us know what you think and maybe you will get more detailed help

regards

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you elaborate on option 1 below.
I have a similar problem; let's say I have these tables:

Date FieldA
1/1/2006 3
1/2/2006 4

Date FieldB
1/1/2006 10
1/3/2006 15

I want to end up with:

Date FieldA FieldB
1/1/2006 3 10
1/2/2006 4 NULL
1/3/2006 NULL 15

p.s. NULLs could be 0 rather; that would also be OK

I tried Access, but it does not seem to work for me!?
I added 2 linked-excel tables for the above 2 tables.
But then, I am not sure how to do the joing? i.e. "then use a query to join
the information...": i.e. how is that done?

Thank you,

Nicolas

"tony h" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am also looking for a solution to do the same thing as mentioned below.
Please post the solution if you found one.

Regards
Rajula

"Nicolas" wrote:

Can you elaborate on option 1 below.
I have a similar problem; let's say I have these tables:

Date FieldA
1/1/2006 3
1/2/2006 4

Date FieldB
1/1/2006 10
1/3/2006 15

I want to end up with:

Date FieldA FieldB

"tony h" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, All
I am looking just for the same solution
Did you get it and woul be so nice to share with me?
Thanks so much

"Nicolas" wrote:

Can you elaborate on option 1 below.
I have a similar problem; let's say I have these tables:

Date FieldA
1/1/2006 3
1/2/2006 4

Date FieldB