BlackBond

Default How can I assign a number value to a letter grade in Excel?

This is very simple, but I can't find a variable assignment function. How
can I assign a number value to a letter grade presented in an Excel table?

Thanks
Roland

You will probably have to set up a lookup table, and use the VLOOKUP function.

A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5

"BlackBond" wrote:

This is very simple, but I can't find a variable assignment function. How
can I assign a number value to a letter grade presented in an Excel table?

Thanks

Louis Jaramillo via OfficeKB.com

Do you have a spreadsheet with the layout?

LJ

Gord Dibben

Enter this formula in B1. You don't need a separate table, the table is in
the formula.

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,50,65,70,85},{"F","D","C","B","A"})

Enter a number in A1

Or go with the VLOOKUP table as proposed by other responders.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP