Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default fill handle in Excel

Where is this mythical fill handle. I have it enabled, but I can't find it.
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It's not a myth it's real.

select a cell and hover over the bottom right hand corner of the cell and
that's the fill handle. If you double click it it fills down as far as there
are data in an adjacent column

Mike

"Broadbrook" wrote:

Where is this mythical fill handle. I have it enabled, but I can't find it.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How did you enable it?

In xl2003, I'd use:
Tools|Options|Edit tab|check Allow cell drag and drop.

Debra Dalgleish has some instructions (with pictures):
http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html#Mouse

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When you select a cell, it is outlined in heavy black. At the right
bottom corner of the highlight box is a small black square. That's the
Fill Handle.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:06:12 -0700, Broadbrook
wrote:

Where is this mythical fill handle. I have it enabled, but I can't find it.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

A few comments on the mythical fill handle:

- You can drag it in all 4 directions - up, down, left, or right (it
decriments when going up or left, in general)
- You can drag it while holding down the Ctrl key which causes
incrementation to change to copy and copy to change to incrementation, in
many cases.
- You can drag it with the right mouse button - when you release you will
get a list of options.
- You can double-click it and if there is an adjactent column of data it
will fill down automatically. (This is a most important feature) This only
works in the down direction.
- There is an Options icon at the end of a fill that can be opened to give
you options similar to those that appear when you drag with the right mouse.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire