Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default function works on some sheets but not others

I'm trying to combine a number and word using the &. The formula bar says
=2007&"utah", and it's giving me a #value error. When I copy the cell and
paste it in the next tab, I get the result 2007utah, which is what I wanted.
I can't do anything to get it to work in the first tab though. Are there
some reasons it might work in one tab but not another?
--
danafeldman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

maybe by putting 2007 in quotes & defining it as text, that would
work..........

="2007" & "utah"

both in quotes & not in quotes works for me.
hope that helps
susan

On Oct 13, 1:36*pm, danafeldman
wrote:
I'm trying to combine a number and word using the &. *The formula bar says
=2007&"utah", and it's giving me a #value error. *When I copy the cell and
paste it in the next tab, I get the result 2007utah, which is what I wanted. *
I can't do anything to get it to work in the first tab though. *Are there
some reasons it might work in one tab but not another?
--
danafeldman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the suggestion Susan. It does work in quotes, but I need it to
work as a value since the 2007 will actually be a variable. Plus, I don't
need to use quotes to make it work on the following tab, so not sure why it
would be different on the 2 tabs.

--
danafeldman

wrote:
I'm trying to combine a number and word using the &. The formula bar says
=2007&"utah", and it's giving me a #value error. When I copy the cell and
paste it in the next tab, I get the result 2007utah, which is what I wanted.
I can't do anything to get it to work in the first tab though. Are there
some reasons it might work in one tab but not another?
--
danafeldman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have transition turned on in the sheet that returns the error

Toolsoptionstransition and clear the "transition formula evaluation" check
mark

Your spreadsheet might originally have been created in Lotus 123?

Every time one gets a strange value error check there first

It happens with a lot of date formulas for instance

Peo Sjoblom