Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMPRODUCT arguments

Working with SUMPRODUCT for the first time. Can someone explain the use of
the dashes following the command? I've seen from none to (I think) 4...

I started with: SUMPRODUCT(--(range=x),--(range=y))

I am currently trying to use 3 arguments, but the answer I expected was +#,
but I am getting a -#.

SUMPRODUCT(---([RANGE S]="REPORT"),---([RANGE 1 DUE]=[FIRST OF THE
MONTH],---([RANGE 1 DUE]<=[END OF THE MONTH]))

The actual answer is 2, but I get -2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are getting -2 because you are using three minus signs for each
argument. You need only two. The third one is changing your answer to
negative.

Regards,
Fred.

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
Working with SUMPRODUCT for the first time. Can someone explain the use of
the dashes following the command? I've seen from none to (I think) 4...

I started with: SUMPRODUCT(--(range=x),--(range=y))

I am currently trying to use 3 arguments, but the answer I expected was
+#,
but I am getting a -#.

SUMPRODUCT(---([RANGE S]="REPORT"),---([RANGE 1 DUE]=[FIRST OF THE
MONTH],---([RANGE 1 DUE]<=[END OF THE MONTH]))

The actual answer is 2, but I get -2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See this:

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
Working with SUMPRODUCT for the first time. Can someone explain the use of
the dashes following the command? I've seen from none to (I think) 4...

I started with: SUMPRODUCT(--(range=x),--(range=y))

I am currently trying to use 3 arguments, but the answer I expected was
+#,
but I am getting a -#.

SUMPRODUCT(---([RANGE S]="REPORT"),---([RANGE 1 DUE]=[FIRST OF THE
MONTH],---([RANGE 1 DUE]<=[END OF THE MONTH]))

The actual answer is 2, but I get -2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Fred Smith" wrote in message
You are getting -2 because you are using three minus signs for each
argument. You need only two. The third one is changing your answer to
negative.

....and because there are an odd number of conditional tests, if there were
an even number, it would have worked, as would one, 5 or any other odd
number of dashes (not that I think it should ever be any other number than
2)