Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default And, if, arguments....

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put this formula in Z4:
=if(b7=0,4,"whatdoyouwanthere?")

(Excel will treat an empty cell as 0.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I entered
=IF(B10=0,4,IF(ISBLANK(B10),0))
and it is still giving me a value of 4 when the cell in blank.....

"Dave F" wrote:

=IF(B7=0,4,IF(ISBLANK(B7),0))

Dave

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ignore my first reply
Here is the correction formula
=IF(B7="","",IF(B7=0,4))

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Chuck,

Does B7 contains a formula that may give results from an error or "" or
negative values ?
Does B7 shall contain type-in values ?
--
*****
birds of the same feather flock together..

Chuck_in_Mo wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You probably need to put Dave's formula the other way round:
=IF(ISBLANK(B10),0,IF(B10=0,4,"undefined"))
--
David Biddulph

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote in message
I entered
=IF(B10=0,4,IF(ISBLANK(B10),0))
and it is still giving me a value of 4 when the cell in blank.....

"Dave F" wrote:

=IF(B7=0,4,IF(ISBLANK(B7),0))

Dave

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0,
return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell
Z4....

Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that. Brain's frozen!

Dave

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote in message
I entered
=IF(B10=0,4,IF(ISBLANK(B10),0))
and it is still giving me a value of 4 when the cell in blank.....

"Dave F" wrote:

=IF(B7=0,4,IF(ISBLANK(B7),0))

Dave

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0,
return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell
Z4....

Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your help Mama,

But, it doesn't work... still getting 4 for a blank cell....

"Teethless mama" wrote:

No quote between 0

=IF(B7=0,4,"")

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If I undertsna dyour question correctly, the B7 field will either be blank
(as in this case) or have a value between 0 and 4.... The formula I am
looking for will "look" at that B7 cell and either return with a blank or
zero (in the case of a blank B7 cell) or return with a value of 4 if a value
of 0 - 4 is entered into B7....

Hope this wasn't too confusing...

Could it be some type of formatting issue?

Chuck_in_Mo wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Share your formula.

And what's in B7.

Maybe...

=if(trim(b7)="",0,if(b7=0,4,0))

(Don't use "0" if you want a real number--not text.)

Chuck_in_Mo wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mo,

from the original post..
if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a value of 4 to cell Z4,

this means IF B7=0 THEN 4
if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4...

this means IF B7="" THEN 0
=if(b7="",0,4) -----this may be the case

then you mentioned a while ago
and either return with a blank or zero (in the case of a blank B7 cell)

this means IF B7="" THEN RETURN "BLANK" OR 0 !
or return with a value of 4 if a value of 0 - 4 is entered into B7.... "

this means IF AND(B7=0,B7<=4) THEN 4

=IF (B7="","",IF(AND(B7=0,B7<=4),4,"don't exceed 4"))

Are these something you can work with?

regards

regards

--
*****

Chuck_in_Mo wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0, return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell Z4....

Can you help?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In which case, if your cell looks blank but returns the 4, you've probably
got one or more spaces (or other invisible characters) in a text string in
B7. What does =LEN(B7) give you? If it doesn't return 0, go into B7 and
delete the spaces or whatever is there.
--
David Biddulph

"Chuck_in_Mo" wrote:

I am trying to get a cell to do this:

Look at cell B7, if B7 has a vlaue of greater than or equal to 0,
return a
value of 4 to cell Z4, if cell B7 is empty return a value of 0 to cell
Z4....

Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As far as I can tell, Excel treats a blank cell as zero(0) so =0 will
return 4.

Try it with 0 and see what occurs.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 21:19:31 -0000, "David Biddulph"
wrote:

In which case, if your cell looks blank but returns the 4, you've probably
got one or more spaces (or other invisible characters) in a text string in
B7. What does =LEN(B7) give you? If it doesn't return 0, go into B7 and
delete the spaces or whatever is there.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks!
Thats it..... The formula wasn't working unless I clicked in the blank cell
and hit the delete key, so, although it looked empty, it had something in it!