Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Number of records after filter

When I filter a list the bottom left corner says 143 of 515 records (or
something along those lines). That is great. However, sometimes it does not
give me that it just says "Filter Mode" and I cannot see how many records
there are. Anyone know why?

I realize that you can do a worksheet function to do this but sometimes it
is not practical to do this. Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

dHi,

There are a number of reasons for this and they include:
1. A known Excel bug
2. A macro that has placed status bar text in that area but not removed it.
3. Once you enter a formula or change a value in the spreadsheet that would
normally cause the spreadsheet to recalculate, the text reverts to Filter Mode
4. there are probably other reasons

However, whether COUNT or any of the other options are on in the right hand
side of the Status Bar has not effect.

You can work around this problem:
Suppose your filter is in cell A2, then in A1 or any empty cell you choose
enter the formula:
=SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A3092) &" of "&COUNTA(A2:A3092)&" records found"

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire