Reggie

Default Importing from other application

Hello!

When I brought in some data recently, I noticed that one
of my fields came in in quotes (ex: "7,125") for some
reason. And not everything in that field was like that -
only the numbers greater than 1,000. Weird, huh?!?

Anyway, is there a way in which I can remove these quotes
without going through all 10,174 lines in my database and
doing it manually?

Thanks for any assistance!

Reg
N Harkawat

Go to edit-find and replace_
Find what - "
Replace with - leave this blank

Click on replace all

"Reggie" wrote in message
Hello!

When I brought in some data recently, I noticed that one
of my fields came in in quotes (ex: "7,125") for some
reason. And not everything in that field was like that -
only the numbers greater than 1,000. Weird, huh?!?

Anyway, is there a way in which I can remove these quotes
without going through all 10,174 lines in my database and
doing it manually?

Thanks for any assistance!

Reg

JulieD

Hi Reggie

the reason it did this is that you could of had a comma separated file,
which would normally split entries up by using a comma, but as you've got a
comma in the number it put the "" around it to indicate not to split it up
(did that make any sense)
anyway to fix
select your workbook
choose
edit / replace
type a " in the first box
leave the replace with box blank
click Replace all

(note, it's always a good idea to try things like this out on a copy of the
workbook first, just in case)
--
Cheers
JulieD
"Reggie" wrote in message
Hello!

When I brought in some data recently, I noticed that one
of my fields came in in quotes (ex: "7,125") for some
reason. And not everything in that field was like that -
only the numbers greater than 1,000. Weird, huh?!?

Anyway, is there a way in which I can remove these quotes
without going through all 10,174 lines in my database and
doing it manually?

Thanks for any assistance!

Reg

Reggie

Thank you very much, Ma'am. Very creative thinking. Why
didn't I think of that?!? I didn't think you could
replace part of a cell without replacing the whole cell.
Thanks again!

Ciao,
Reg