Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default drop downs and hyperlinks

IS IT POSSIBLE?

I would like to have a drop down that displays one thing, but when an item
is selected from the list - it returns an assigned value. Ex: I have a
named range list on a separate tab with 2 columns - col A is the selectable
text (which is a more detailed description) I want to see in the drop down
list, and in col B is the code value that I want returned.

If this is doable . . . is there a way have a note or screen tip pop up
(showing the more detailed description from col A) when your cursor hovers
over the selected code value. ie; Like you can set up when you insert a
hyperlink.

hope that makes sense
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi KUMPFfrog,

Yes, it is possible.

If you use an Active X combo box (control tools, not form tools). Go to the
properties of the box. If the info you want to display is in say, a1:a10, and
the info you want to code is in b1:b10, in the listfill range put a1:b10. In
BoundColumn put 2 for the 2nd column. You will see the info in A in the drop
down list, and the info in the B column will appear in your linked cell.

Squeaky
"KUMPFfrog" wrote:

IS IT POSSIBLE?

I would like to have a drop down that displays one thing, but when an item
is selected from the list - it returns an assigned value. Ex: I have a
named range list on a separate tab with 2 columns - col A is the selectable
text (which is a more detailed description) I want to see in the drop down
list, and in col B is the code value that I want returned.

If this is doable . . . is there a way have a note or screen tip pop up
(showing the more detailed description from col A) when your cursor hovers
over the selected code value. ie; Like you can set up when you insert a
hyperlink.

hope that makes sense

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Squeaky,
i am not all that familiar with those, but seems like it would be a lot of
work to put a combobox in every row for hundreds of rows. true???

also, my ultimate goal would be to have a cell value of like three digits
that will give you the full description of what those digits stand for when
you hover over it with your cursor and when you pull down the drop down list
to make a selection.