George

Default Spread Sheet Tabs

On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

CLR

Select the tab, then do Tools Protection Protect Sheet and follow the
menu.........

Vaya con DIos,
Chuck, CABGx3

"George" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I

want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

George

Tried suggestion - sheet still opens when tab is clicked on - don't want
people to be
able to see contents.

Thanks

"George" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I

want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Select sheet. From Format menu select Sheet.Hide
But any user can make it reversible, i.e. to set the sheet visible again. to
avoid this, you have to open VBA editor (Press Alt+F11), and set the Visible
property for sheet to VeryHidden. Protect the VBA-project with password
after that, and you have got maximum what's possible in Excel.

Arvi Laanemets

"George" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I

want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

George

Tried your suggestion - The work book is password protected, they use read
only to open - so I signed in and selected Hide - which it did. Then I closed
the spread sheet and reopened as Read Only and anyone can go to Format
Unhide, so that doesn't provide any security for that sheet.

Thanks - Is there another way to keep this sheet locked ?

"George" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I

want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

Gord Dibben

George

I think you misunderstood Arvi's method which was to use VBA code to hide the
worksheet then protect the VBA code so's users could not get to it.

For the casual user.........just hide the worksheet under FormatSheetHide.

Then from ToolsProtectionProtect Workbook.

Protect Windows and Structure then password it.

Users can see all sheets but the hidden one and cannot unhide without the
password to unprotect the workbook. This protection is different from the
File Protection you currently have and can be in addition to that.

For the not-so-casual user employ VBA's VeryHidden method..........

Worksheets("Sheet1").Visible = xlVeryHidden
End Sub

To unhide the sheet when you want to edit.

Sub unhide()
Worksheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
End Sub

You can set a password on the VBA Project.

Be aware that passwords can be cracked, sheets and workbooks are quite easy.
Files and VBA Projects less so.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"George" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I

want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

Gord Dibben

Thanks for the feedback.

Sometimes(most times) we all say exactly the same thing in a different manner.

What's good about that is that the original poster gets more than one slant on
a suggestion.

It depends on whether you are a right-sider or left-sider which slant is the
most comprehensible.

Gord

"George" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I
want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

Arvi Laanemets

Hi Dord

Actually no VBA code was meaned. In VBA-Project window you can set
properties for every sheet manually too. Protecting after that the project
(having any code or any module at all in VBA-project isn't essential)
prevents further access to whole project - properties window (lower left one
when activated) included.

To set any properties manually, you must have Properties window activated -
when not then activate it from View menu. Then in VBA-Project window select
the sheet, and in properties window set the properties for selected sheet.
When ready, right-click on VBA-Project object in VBA-Project window, select
VBA-Project Properties and then Security, and set the password.

--
When sending mail, use address arvil<attarkon.ee

"George" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the

work
book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one

tab I
want
to password protect, is that possible ?

Thanks - George

Gord Dibben

Arvi

Thanks for the update on this.

Was not thinking about setting the sheet to veryhidden in this manner.

Good advice and an easy method once explained as you have.

Was me who misunderstood your original post.

I just keep on learnin'

Gord