Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting in XL2007

I have a table of numbers and I want to put a conditional formatting rule on
each column to highlight the lowest number in the column (there is a built in
rule for this and it works fine), but ONLY if it is unique (this is the part
that I cannot figure out how to do).

Anyone know how to do that?

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the: Use a formula to determine which cells to format option.

Use a formula similar to this (this is for the range A1:A5):

=AND(A1=MIN(A$1:A$5),COUNTIF(A$1:A$5,A1)=1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve Haack" wrote in message
I have a table of numbers and I want to put a conditional formatting rule
on
each column to highlight the lowest number in the column (there is a built
in
rule for this and it works fine), but ONLY if it is unique (this is the
part
that I cannot figure out how to do).

Anyone know how to do that?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff,
I tried this, and it seems to work on some columns in the table, but not on
others. I was wondering, do I need to apply this conditional rule to each
individual cell in the column, and update the A1= at the beginning to point
to each specific cell (A1, A2, A3...etc) in each rule, or should it workby
applying the rule to the whole column?

I have applied the rule to the whole column, and it seems to work on some
columns, but not in others.

Thanks for the help,
Steve

"T. Valko" wrote:

Use the: Use a formula to determine which cells to format option.

Use a formula similar to this (this is for the range A1:A5):

=AND(A1=MIN(A$1:A$5),COUNTIF(A$1:A$5,A1)=1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve Haack" wrote in message
I have a table of numbers and I want to put a conditional formatting rule
on
each column to highlight the lowest number in the column (there is a built
in
rule for this and it works fine), but ONLY if it is unique (this is the
part
that I cannot figure out how to do).

Anyone know how to do that?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let's assume the range of interest is A1:D5

Select the range A1:D5. When you select the range start from cell A1 and
drag to D5. A1 will be the active cell. The active cell is the one in the
selected range that is not highlighted. This is important because the the
formula uses relative references based on the active cell.

Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage Rules
Click New Rule
Select: Use a formula to determine which cells to format
Enter this formula in the little box:

=AND(A1=MIN(A$1:A$5),COUNTIF(A$1:A$5,A1)=1)

Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s).
OK out

Here's a screencap showing the results of the above steps:

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3433/cfro2.jpg