Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CJ CJ is offline

Default VLOOKUP Question - Can I Keep the Same Aray with Drag?

I am using VLOOKUP to match a unique number from my Table A to a unique
number from Table B and return whatever it says in the 3rd column of Table B.
The first one worked great. But I need to copy that formula through an
entire column, and as I FILL it to other cells, it changes the array and
suddenly I get N/A# a lot. I have to go back and manually cut and paste the
array value into each formula and then they work. This is highly annoying. is
there anyway to tell Excel "Do not change this value - always keep this array
the same"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use absolute references for the table_array:

=VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$K$100,3,0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"CJ" wrote in message
I am using VLOOKUP to match a unique number from my Table A to a unique
number from Table B and return whatever it says in the 3rd column of Table
B.
The first one worked great. But I need to copy that formula through an
entire column, and as I FILL it to other cells, it changes the array and
suddenly I get N/A# a lot. I have to go back and manually cut and paste
the
array value into each formula and then they work. This is highly annoying.
is
there anyway to tell Excel "Do not change this value - always keep this
array
the same"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey CJ,

The problem is that you haven't anchored your data set. Use $ in the vlookup.

ex. =VLOOKUP(A1,$C$7:$H$38,3,FALSE)
--
-SA

"CJ" wrote:

I am using VLOOKUP to match a unique number from my Table A to a unique
number from Table B and return whatever it says in the 3rd column of Table B.
The first one worked great. But I need to copy that formula through an
entire column, and as I FILL it to other cells, it changes the array and
suddenly I get N/A# a lot. I have to go back and manually cut and paste the
array value into each formula and then they work. This is highly annoying. is
there anyway to tell Excel "Do not change this value - always keep this array
the same"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Also, whenever you specific a cell or a data range, the F4 key will scroll
you through the combinations of absolute and relative references.
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

"CJ" wrote:

I am using VLOOKUP to match a unique number from my Table A to a unique
number from Table B and return whatever it says in the 3rd column of Table B.
The first one worked great. But I need to copy that formula through an
entire column, and as I FILL it to other cells, it changes the array and
suddenly I get N/A# a lot. I have to go back and manually cut and paste the
array value into each formula and then they work. This is highly annoying. is
there anyway to tell Excel "Do not change this value - always keep this array
the same"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CJ CJ is offline

You guys rock! Worked perfectly! Thanks so much!!