Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kat Kat is offline

Default Sum from a Drop down menu using value in the cell below

On a calendar I have two drop down menus - the first has an alphabetic value
(A13)A - E respectively, the second drop down below it (A14) has numeric
values .25 - 10. How do I make it add the numeric value per alphabetic
value?

Thanks - Kat
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What are you adding the numeric value too and do the numeric values
necessarily corresponded to the same alpha values all the time?
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

"Kat" wrote:

On a calendar I have two drop down menus - the first has an alphabetic value
(A13)A - E respectively, the second drop down below it (A14) has numeric
values .25 - 10. How do I make it add the numeric value per alphabetic
value?

Thanks - Kat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hope I understood, try:

=A13&A14

in A15 for instance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kat Kat is offline

The value needs to be 0, itself or added to any other cell that used A - E
respectively during the month. And no each numeric value is chosen based on
the amount of time spent on a given day.

Kat

"Kat" wrote:

On a calendar I have two drop down menus - the first has an alphabetic value
(A13)A - E respectively, the second drop down below it (A14) has numeric
values .25 - 10. How do I make it add the numeric value per alphabetic
value?

Thanks - Kat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kat Kat is offline

Thanks but that's a no go.
Kat

"Jarek Kujawa" wrote:

hope I understood, try:

=A13&A14

in A15 for instance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kat Kat is offline

A = Annual Meeting
B = BOD Meeting
C = Contractor Meeting

Then the numerical value in the drop down menu below equals the amount of
time spent at the meeting.

"Kat" wrote:

On a calendar I have two drop down menus - the first has an alphabetic value
(A13)A - E respectively, the second drop down below it (A14) has numeric
values .25 - 10. How do I make it add the numeric value per alphabetic
value?

Thanks - Kat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, if I select A in A13, and .25 in cell A14, then the total is just .25.
What is the range of cells that will have A through E, and what is the range
of the cells that will have the corresponding lenght of time?
--
John C

"Kat" wrote:

On a calendar I have two drop down menus - the first has an alphabetic value
(A13)A - E respectively, the second drop down below it (A14) has numeric
values .25 - 10. How do I make it add the numeric value per alphabetic
value?

Thanks - Kat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kat Kat is offline

C13:P13+C16:P16+C20:P20 for A-E
C14:P14+C17:P17+C21:P21 for .25-10

"Kat" wrote:

On a calendar I have two drop down menus - the first has an alphabetic value
(A13)A - E respectively, the second drop down below it (A14) has numeric
values .25 - 10. How do I make it add the numeric value per alphabetic
value?

Thanks - Kat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kat Kat is offline

This is the formula. Thanks for all your help. :)

=SUMIF($C$13:$P$13,"A",$C$14:$P$14)+SUMIF($C$16:$P $16,"A",$C$17:$P$17)+SUMIF($C$19:$P$19,"A",$C$20:$ P$20)

Then B-E respectively.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=SUMIF(A13:Z13,"A",A14:Z14)

Peo Sjoblom

"Kat" wrote:

On a calendar I have two drop down menus - the first has an
alphabetic value
(A13)A - E respectively, the second drop down below it (A14) has
numeric
values .25 - 10. How do I make it add the numeric value per
alphabetic
value?

Thanks - Kat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming I understand.
Cell A13, drop down menu for meeting type that you want a tally of total
hours for meetings.
Cell A14, is total time of meetings (0.25 - 10 each).

You have 3 sections that have a meeting type (rows 13, 16, & 20, columns C-P)
and the time frame for each meeting is entered just below.

This should work, if my assumptions are correct.
A14:
=SUMIF(C13:P13,A13,C14:P14)+SUMIF(C16:P16,A13,C17: P17)+SUMIF(C20:P20,A13,C21:P21)
--
John C