Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Filter Data From Master Sheet Into Other Worksheets

I am currently working with a master worksheet that contains a list of
positions throughout a company. One of the columns contains the department
in which these positions are available. I would like to create additional
worksheets in my excel document that will only show the positions for a
specific department. Is there a formula that I can use to copy the
appropriate data over to the other spreadsheets that I am trying to create.
Also, I need something that will continually update as I update the master
spreadsheet. The traditional copy and paste of the fields isn't working
because the information changes in the fields every time the master list is
sorted.

My spreadsheet contains data in column a to i and the departments are listed
in column c. The data goes from row 1 to 140, but may expand over time.
Column C contains the value that I need to use to filter the information into
the other spreadsheets that I am trying to create.

Example:

Any help on this will be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

A relatively simple formulas driven play is available to serve your needs ..

Take away this sample construct from my archives:
http://www.savefile.com/files/430142
AutoCopy Lines to Resp Sht Non Array.xls
(Full details inside, nicely rendered. Easy to adapt ..)

Data is continuously entered in a master ("parent") sheet, with lines neatly
auto-copied to each individual ("child") sheet based on the values within a
key col.

In the sample, the key col in the master sheet is the "State" col, which may
contain eg: NY, CA, NV, SD, AZ, etc. All lines with "NY" in the key col will
be auto-copied to the sheet named: NY, and appear neatly bunched at the top,
w/o any intervening blank lines. Ditto for lines with "CA", "NV", etc which
will be copied into their respective sheets.

Propagation of the "child" sheet is as simple as making a copy of the
initial one, then renaming it accordingly as the next key col value. Eg just
formulate one child sheet for "NY", dress it up nicely, then just make copies
of the "NY" sheet, and rename these as: CA, NV, SD, etc.

In your case, the key col would be your column C (Positions?)
--
Max
Singapore