Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Referencing Cells in a Summary page

I am working on a budget spreadsheet, with multiple worksheets, I have a
Summary sheet in front and need to keep the Summary totals to be the running
balance from each of the other worksheets... How do I formulate that to
pickup each cell each time a running balance cell changes?

THANKS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are totaling all worksheets to the Summary sheet this is the easiest
way to do this. Let's say on sheet 1 your total is in cell E10, sheet 2 total
is E 12.

On the Summary sheet click the cell where you want the total. Enter =sum(
click on sheet 1 cell E10 put the + sign, than click sheet 2 cell E12 and so
on. When you are done put the ) sign after the last cell than hit enter.

Hope this helped.
--
Julleanna

"Katintn" wrote:

I am working on a budget spreadsheet, with multiple worksheets, I have a
Summary sheet in front and need to keep the Summary totals to be the running
balance from each of the other worksheets... How do I formulate that to
pickup each cell each time a running balance cell changes?

THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank for responding Julleanna.... What I have is 1st worksheet is all line
items of an operating budget with beginning budget balance, the following
worksheets are 1 worksheet for each line items where subtractions/additions
will be done throughtout the budget year... the running total column of each
worksheet is what I'm looking to have referenced on the summary page.

"Katintn" wrote:

I am working on a budget spreadsheet, with multiple worksheets, I have a
Summary sheet in front and need to keep the Summary totals to be the running
balance from each of the other worksheets... How do I formulate that to
pickup each cell each time a running balance cell changes?

THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

First, you can use the 3D reference, if you go to EXCEL-HELP, and search for
3D Reference, it will give you a detailed instruction on how to enter the
formula.

Secondly, is a method I prefer, especially when the actual sheet names have
meaning and will appear on the Summary sheet (i.e.: a list of the totals for
each sheet followed by the overall total).

For example, assume column A on summary sheet will have sheet name, and
column B is where you want the desired data from each sheet to appear, cell
E20 from all the other sheets is where you are pulling your data from.

Col A. Col B.

Row 2 Totals =sum(b3:b100)
Row 3 Data1 =INDIRECT("'"&A3&"'!"&$E$20)
Row 4 Data2 (You would edit fill down as needed
etc.

Note: The indirect formula has a single quote (apostraphe) in between the 2
double quotes at the beginning and another single quote just before the
exclamation mark. The sheet name entered in column A, must, of course, match
the actual sheet name exactly, including spaces.

--
John C

"Katintn" wrote:

I am working on a budget spreadsheet, with multiple worksheets, I have a
Summary sheet in front and need to keep the Summary totals to be the running
balance from each of the other worksheets... How do I formulate that to
pickup each cell each time a running balance cell changes?

THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

IM (messanger) me at . At the bottom of a new workbook you
have "sheet 1" "sheet 2" and "sheet 3". Sheet 1 is your summary page. Sheet 2
and sheet 3 are the ones that will have your running totals.
--
Julleanna

"Katintn" wrote:

I am working on a budget spreadsheet, with multiple worksheets, I have a
Summary sheet in front and need to keep the Summary totals to be the running
balance from each of the other worksheets... How do I formulate that to
pickup each cell each time a running balance cell changes?

THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't have messanger on my work computer Julleanna... sorry. Yes sheet 1
is summary... example: Summary Sheet Column 'E' is the column I need to
have my running totals show up in .... say cell '27E' currently I have in
this cell '=233-Public Awareness'!E5' and that gives me the running total at
the point of one transaction from that budget line... the next transaction
will be on E6 and somehow when I complete my transactions I need the running
balance from that column E to continue to change on the summary sheet 27E..
Does that make any more sense?