Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default finding and replacing

HELP!

I have a mind numbingly boring job of updating the prices in our work
spreadsheet.

Is there a way I can find a list of product codes in the new prices
spreadsheet and then automatically update the specific field in the product
database?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It would help if you were to give more details of how your data is
laid out and what you want to achieve.

In the absence of that, I can only advise you to look in XL Help for
the VLOOKUP (and similar) function.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 3, 12:04*pm, HELPNEEDED!!
wrote:
HELP!

I have a mind numbingly boring job of updating the prices in our work
spreadsheet.

Is there a way I can find a list of product codes in the new prices
spreadsheet and then automatically update the specific field in the product
database?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Help,

In gerneral, use a formula like this in a new column next to your product database:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(Code,NewPrices,2,False)),OldPr ice,VLOOKUP(Code,NewPrices,2,False))

Where
Code is the cell in the same row with the product code
NewPrices is the table with the product code and prices - I've assumed a two column table. Use the
sheet name and absolute references
OldPrice is the cell in the same row with the old price

So, in a cell on row 2, it would look like

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,NewPriceSheet!$A$1:$B$1000, 2,False)),C2,VLOOKUP(A2,NewPriceSheet!$A$1:$B$1000 ,2,False))

Then copy that down to match your product database - copy it, and paste values over the old prices.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP