Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cs_vision

Default Finding, Replacing and Cut & Paste

I have the following Excel Spreadsheet setup:
Col 1 Col 2 Col 3
94 LAMPKIN, Louis William
will 3/15/04
decl. of trust 3/15/04
living will decl. 3/15/04
p/atty €“ prop. 3/15/04
p/atty €“ h/c 3/15/04

94 LANDINO, Carl
will 3/8/74
trust agmt. 3/6/74

94 LANDINO, Dorotha Mae
will 3/8/74
trust agmt. 3/6/74

94 LANDMAN, Edward
will 10/2/83

Each name every name in Caps is one section. What I need to do is take the
name and combine it with the wording below for each date. For example

94 LANDMAN, Edward
wil 10/2/83
trust 6/8/83
BECOMES:

94 LANDMAN, Edward - will 10/2/83
LANDMAN, Edward - trust 6/8/83

Is there a fast way to do this without cutting an pasting? I have over
25,000 entries?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico

This wouldn't do exactly what you want, but at least you will have part of
the copy and paste made.
Add a new column 4, with the following formula (put it on cell D2 for this
references)
=IF(A2="",IF(ISERROR(FIND("-",D1)),D1 & " - " & B2,LEFT(D1,FIND("-",D1)-2) &
" - " & B2),B2)
This will transform this:
94 LANDINO, Carl
will 3/8/1974
trust agmt. 3/6/1974

Into this:
94 LANDINO, Carl LANDINO, Carl
will 3/8/1974 LANDINO, Carl - will
trust agmt. 3/6/1974 LANDINO, Carl - trust agmt.

It is not the full solution, but you can copy, paste values on the whole
column and play a little with sort/filter after that. Maybe you can avoid
the 25000 cut and paste :)

Miguel.

"cs_vision" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cs_vision

What if I'm just working with one column (B)

ROTHENBERG, Stuart M.**
Rothenberg 2005 Family Trust Agmt.
Purchase Agreement

I need to add the name to each row below so it would appear like this:

ROTHENBERG, Stuart M.** - Rothenberg 2005 Family Trust Agmt.
ROTHENBERG, Stuart M.** - Purchase Agreement

"cs_vision" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico

Then you would have to chose other condition instead of the cell in column A
being empty. For example, this will check if the name doesn't have a colon
in it:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND(",",B2),IF(ISERROR(FIND("-",D1)),D1 & " - " &
B2,LEFT(D1,FIND("-",D1)-2) & " - " & B2),B2)
Maybe this doesn't work with your data, but if all the names have a colon
and none of the other types has it, it could work. If not, you may look for
other conditions based on the data, if you like the idea of the formula.

Miguel.