Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting characters in multiple rows when rows meet specific criteria

Hi can anyone help with what seems a simple task that I can't fathom. I want
to count characters in rows if the row starts with a certain inital in the
first columb:

a x x x
b x x x x
c x x x x x
a x x x
b x
c x x x x x

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

I thought it would be simple but I cant work out can someone help at all,

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming the data starts in A1, that the last possible column that can
contain data is K (just to have an ending column to refer to in the formula;
change to suit your conditions) and the the maximum row where you could have
data is 100 (again, change to suit your conditions)...

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="a")*(B1:K100="x"))

Rick

"news.virginmedia.com" wrote in message
Hi can anyone help with what seems a simple task that I can't fathom. I
want to count characters in rows if the row starts with a certain inital
in the first columb:

a x x x
b x x x x
c x x x x x
a x x x
b x
c x x x x x

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

I thought it would be simple but I cant work out can someone help at all,

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

5

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6="B")*(B1:F6="X"))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"news.virginmedia.com" wrote in message
Hi can anyone help with what seems a simple task that I can't fathom. I
want to count characters in rows if the row starts with a certain inital
in the first columb:

a x x x
b x x x x
c x x x x x
a x x x
b x
c x x x x x

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

I thought it would be simple but I cant work out can someone help at all,

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Rick and Biff very much appreciated

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="a")*(B1:K100="x"))

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6="B")*(B1:F6="X"))

I can get on again now :)

thanks