-   -   Counting characters in multiple rows when rows meet specific criteria (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/193001-counting-characters-multiple-rows-when-rows-meet-specific-criteria.html)

news.virginmedia.com

Counting characters in multiple rows when rows meet specific criteria

Hi can anyone help with what seems a simple task that I can't fathom. I want
to count characters in rows if the row starts with a certain inital in the
first columb:

a x x x
b x x x x
c x x x x x
a x x x
b x
c x x x x x

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

I thought it would be simple but I cant work out can someone help at all,

thanks

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_777_]

Counting characters in multiple rows when rows meet specific criteria

Assuming the data starts in A1, that the last possible column that can
contain data is K (just to have an ending column to refer to in the formula;
change to suit your conditions) and the the maximum row where you could have
data is 100 (again, change to suit your conditions)...

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="a")*(B1:K100="x"))

Rick

"news.virginmedia.com" wrote in message
Hi can anyone help with what seems a simple task that I can't fathom. I
want to count characters in rows if the row starts with a certain inital
in the first columb:

a x x x
b x x x x
c x x x x x
a x x x
b x
c x x x x x

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

I thought it would be simple but I cant work out can someone help at all,

thanks

T. Valko

Counting characters in multiple rows when rows meet specific criteria

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

5

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6="B")*(B1:F6="X"))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"news.virginmedia.com" wrote in message
Hi can anyone help with what seems a simple task that I can't fathom. I
want to count characters in rows if the row starts with a certain inital
in the first columb:

a x x x
b x x x x
c x x x x x
a x x x
b x
c x x x x x

So what is the total number of "x" in rows begining with "b"

I thought it would be simple but I cant work out can someone help at all,

thanks

Martin[_5_]

Counting characters in multiple rows when rows meet specific criteria

Thanks Rick and Biff very much appreciated

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="a")*(B1:K100="x"))

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6="B")*(B1:F6="X"))

I can get on again now :)

thanks