Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drop-down list

How do I format a cell so a user can *only* choose from a drop-down box, but
can not enter into the cell?

Thank you,

Lisa12
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the cell then click on Data | Validation and on the pull-down
for Allow select List. If you just have a simple restricted list like
A, B, C, D then you can enter this directly into the Source box with
each item separated by a comma. If your list is more complex, then in
the Source box you should put a range that refers to where your list
is, e.g.:

=$D$1:$D$10

if you have a list of acceptable items in the cells D1:D10 of the same
worksheet.

If your list is on another worksheet you will need to give the range a
name, eg "source_data", and then you can enter this named range in the
Source box.

Click OK when you are finished.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 26, 3:29*pm, Lisa12 wrote:
How do I format a cell so a user can *only* choose from a drop-down box, but
can not enter into the cell?

Thank you,

Lisa12

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have created the drop-box and attached the list, but I am trying to protect
the cell so a user can only use the drop-box. In other words they can't even
attempt to enter an incorrect item causing a stop. I don't even want them to
be able to enter the cell just the drop-box.

Thank you,

Lisa

On Jun 26, 3:29 pm, Lisa12 wrote:
How do I format a cell so a user can *only* choose from a drop-down box, but
can not enter into the cell?

Thank you,

Lisa12

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't understand - the drop-down box is integral with the cell, when
selected. If the cell was protected, then the value could not be
changed.

Pete

On Jun 26, 3:29 pm, Lisa12 wrote:
How do I format a cell so a user can *only* choose from a drop-down box, but
can not enter into the cell?

Thank you,

Lisa12- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jun 26, 3:29 pm, Lisa12 wrote:
How do I format a cell so a user can *only* choose from a drop-down box, but
can not enter into the cell?

Thank you,

Lisa12

A ComboBox would be prefect.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A ComboBox would be prefect.

Ken Johnson

Well, it would be nearly perfect. Except that it also must be linked
to a cell, and THAT cell cannot be locked, either.

I find the best way is still a ComboBox since the validation is
stronger. Put its linked cell out of the way, in a hidden row or
column. When you lock the sheet, they won't be able to find it to do
damage. You can still reference the hidden cell.