Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default mixed text and formula results

I need to track the hours of part time employees to ensure that the average
number hours per week they work does not exceed 18. Calculating the average
is easy enough but I would like the cell to display how many hours over the
average they have worked. For example, if the employee worked 37 hours in
two weeks the cell should say €śExceeded allotted hours by 1.00€ť. The formula
so far is =IF(AVERAGE(B3:B16)18,"exceeds allowable hours by",
AVERAGE(B3:B16))
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The concatenate operator (&) is used to append a formula, so:
=IF(AVERAGE(B3:B16)18,"Exceeds allowable hours by
"&AVERAGE(B3:B16)-18,AVERAGE(B3:B16))

On Jun 24, 2:57*pm, johnu wrote:
I need to track the hours of part time employees to ensure that the average
number hours per week they work does not exceed 18. *Calculating the average
is easy enough but I would like the cell to display how many hours over the
average they have worked. *For example, if the employee worked 37 hours in
two weeks the cell should say “Exceeded allotted hours by 1.00”. *The formula
so far is =IF(AVERAGE(B3:B16)18,"exceeds allowable hours by",
AVERAGE(B3:B16))
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(AVERAGE(B3:B16)18,
"Exceeds allowable hours by"&TEXT(AVERAGE(B3:B16)-18,"0.00"),
AVERAGE(B3:B16))

--
HTH

Bob