Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to lookup product name and add qty's of all that are found

I'm trying to make an equation to look up a part number from a list and add
the quantities from the next cell every time it appears. For example: Let's
say you were doing different jobs that required different colors of paint and
your info was:

Job Color Qty (Quarts)
1 Blue 2
2 Red 15
3 Blue 7

So, from my whole list I want to find out how many quarts of Blue paint are
required. So, my formula should search for Blue in every cell in column 2 and
add column 3 of each instance to get a total of 9 quarts required.

Thanks much if you can help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMIF(A1:A3,"Blue",B1:B3)

or if "Blue" will be a cell reference (C1):

=SUMIF(A1:A3,C1,B1:B3)

HTH,
Paul