Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Errors / #Value!

I made a template with my formulas and I have some lines that I need to put
zero's in so I won't get #VALUE! where my formula is. For example: J16*K17
is the formula for L17. I have to put zeros in my J & K columns if I'm not
using them or my L17 shows #VALUE! The first 5 or so lines do it but then
the rest are fine. The other L cells just have zeros until I put in the
figures that I want in the J & K. If I'm doing a quote and don't use all the
lines, I get these errors on the unused ones.
Hope I'm not being too confusing! Help!!!
--
Mary Lou
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
Instead of J16*K17, try:
IF(ISERR(J16*K17),"",J16*K17)
This will still give the right answer when data is present, but will leave
the cell blank when not.
Regards - Dave

"Mary Lou" wrote:

I made a template with my formulas and I have some lines that I need to put
zero's in so I won't get #VALUE! where my formula is. For example: J16*K17
is the formula for L17. I have to put zeros in my J & K columns if I'm not
using them or my L17 shows #VALUE! The first 5 or so lines do it but then
the rest are fine. The other L cells just have zeros until I put in the
figures that I want in the J & K. If I'm doing a quote and don't use all the
lines, I get these errors on the unused ones.
Hope I'm not being too confusing! Help!!!
--
Mary Lou

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=J16*K17 should not show an error in L17 if either or both is empty.

L17 should just display a zero since blank cell * blank cell = 0

Is there something else you're not telling us?

If you don't want L17 to display a zero enter this formula

=IF(AND(J16="",K17=""),"",J16*K17)

But please post back with clarification about contents of J16 and K17 that would
produce the #VALUE!

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 May 2008 13:44:01 -0700, Mary Lou
wrote:

I made a template with my formulas and I have some lines that I need to put
zero's in so I won't get #VALUE! where my formula is. For example: J16*K17
is the formula for L17. I have to put zeros in my J & K columns if I'm not
using them or my L17 shows #VALUE! The first 5 or so lines do it but then
the rest are fine. The other L cells just have zeros until I put in the
figures that I want in the J & K. If I'm doing a quote and don't use all the
lines, I get these errors on the unused ones.
Hope I'm not being too confusing! Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, I got so confused with the project that I just gave up.. temporarily.
Would it be possible for me to send you my worksheet and have you look at my
formulas??
--
Mary Lou

wrote:

I made a template with my formulas and I have some lines that I need to put
zero's in so I won't get #VALUE! where my formula is. For example: J16*K17
is the formula for L17. I have to put zeros in my J & K columns if I'm not
using them or my L17 shows #VALUE! The first 5 or so lines do it but then
the rest are fine. The other L cells just have zeros until I put in the
figures that I want in the J & K. If I'm doing a quote and don't use all the
lines, I get these errors on the unused ones.
Hope I'm not being too confusing! Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mary Lou,

I suspect that the cells in column J or K contain spacebars and are not
really empty. Just select the cells an press Del.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote:

I made a template with my formulas and I have some lines that I need to
put
zero's in so I won't get #VALUE! where my formula is. For example:
J16*K17
is the formula for L17. I have to put zeros in my J & K columns if I'm
not
using them or my L17 shows #VALUE! The first 5 or so lines do it but
then
the rest are fine. The other L cells just have zeros until I put in the
figures that I want in the J & K. If I'm doing a quote and don't use
all the
lines, I get these errors on the unused ones.
Hope I'm not being too confusing! Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Email the workbook to me.

Change the AT and the DOT to appropriate punctuation.

Gord