Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Number Format?

I have entered the following in cell A1 ="Average "&AVERAGE(D:D)
and the value I get is Average 47.247619047619.
How can I round down to 1 decimal place?
I have tried number format but it does not make a difference
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

A1 ="Average "&TEXT(AVERAGE(D:D),"0.0")

Does that help?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"gb_S49" wrote in message
I have entered the following in cell A1 ="Average "&AVERAGE(D:D)
and the value I get is Average 47.247619047619.
How can I round down to 1 decimal place?
I have tried number format but it does not make a difference
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want to physically round the value to one decimal place (that is,
reduce its accuracy), then you have your answer in the other postings in
this thread. However, if you only want to display it to one decimal place,
but keep its full accuracy (perhaps for other calculations), then leave keep
your formula but Custom Format the cell (right click the cell and select
Format Cells) using 0.0 as the pattern.

Rick

"gb_S49" wrote in message
I have entered the following in cell A1 ="Average "&AVERAGE(D:D)
and the value I get is Average 47.247619047619.
How can I round down to 1 decimal place?
I have tried number format but it does not make a difference
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you sure, Rick? What effect does that have when the formula gives a
text result?
--
David Biddulph

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"gb_S49" wrote in message
I have entered the following in cell A1 ="Average "&AVERAGE(D:D)
and the value I get is Average 47.247619047619.
How can I round down to 1 decimal place?
I have tried number format but it does not make a difference
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sooo, that is why everyone gave the TEXT function solution.<g

I read too fast... totally missed the "Average "& part of his formula.
Thanks for catching that.

Rick

"gb_S49" wrote in message
I have entered the following in cell A1 ="Average "&AVERAGE(D:D)
and the value I get is Average 47.247619047619.
How can I round down to 1 decimal place?
I have tried number format but it does not make a difference
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 8 May 2008 12:38:11 -0400, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

If you want to physically round the value to one decimal place (that is,
reduce its accuracy), then you have your answer in the other postings in
this thread. However, if you only want to display it to one decimal place,
but keep its full accuracy (perhaps for other calculations), then leave keep
your formula but Custom Format the cell (right click the cell and select
Format Cells) using 0.0 as the pattern.

Rick

I don't believe that will work since his formula is a concatenation of strings.

However, if he changed his formula to :

=AVERAGE(D:D)

And then used the Custom Format:

"Average "0.0

the result would be as he might want.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, David caught that too. I read the OP's post too fast (carelessly) and
missed the "Average "& part of his formula. Your suggestion is probably
what I would have offered had I read the posting more carefully. Thanks for
posting it.

Rick