Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default check if an entry is a multiple of another cell

I am creating an order form in which I have cells that are used to enter a
certain quantity of pencils. The pencils must be ordered in multiples of 12.
How can I use Data Validation to check if the ordered quantity is always a
multiple of 12?

Thanks,
JM

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: check if an entry is a multiple of another cell

Hi JM,

You can use Data Validation in Excel to check if the ordered quantity is always a multiple of 12. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the cell or cells where you want to apply the validation.
  2. Go to the Data tab in the ribbon and click on Data Validation.
  3. In the Data Validation dialog box, select "Custom" from the "Allow" drop-down list.
  4. In the "Formula" field, enter the following formula:
    Formula:
    =MOD(A1,12)=
    (assuming that the cell you want to validate is A1).
  5. Click on the "Error Alert" tab and enter a suitable error message, such as "Please enter a multiple of 12".
  6. Click OK to close the dialog box.

Now, whenever someone enters a quantity in the selected cell(s), Excel will check if it is a multiple of 12. If it is not, an error message will appear.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You've gotten an accurate answer, but for the convenience of your users,
why don't you just let them order by the dozen (i.e, 1,2..., instead of
12,24...)
?