Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default MONTH

I used the formula =MONTH(H2) but it's giving me 'Jan' whereas it should be
giving me 'Mar'. The column with the dates is formated as date. What should
my formula be? I also need one for YEAR. Thank you. Connie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

MONTH should actually return a number between 1 and 12, but remember
that some formats use the month first and others place day first.
There is a YEAR function as well.

On May 2, 9:39 am, Connie Martin
wrote:
I used the formula =MONTH(H2) but it's giving me 'Jan' whereas it should be
giving me 'Mar'. The column with the dates is formated as date. What should
my formula be? I also need one for YEAR. Thank you. Connie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

.. =MONTH(H2)
will return month as a number,
eg; 3 if H2 contains a real date for the month of March

If you want it returned as "Mar", use: =TEXT(H2,"mmm")
If you want the year returned as say: 2008, use: =TEXT(H2,"yyyy")

But from what you posted, I suspect that the "dates" in your col H are not
real dates. Suggest you try this to convert it all at one go to real dates.
Select col H, click Data Text to Columns, click Next Next. In step 3,
check "Date", then select the appropriate date format from the droplist, eg:
MDY, then click Finish
--
Max
Singapore
"Connie Martin" wrote:
I used the formula =MONTH(H2) but it's giving me 'Jan' whereas it should be
giving me 'Mar'. The column with the dates is formated as date. What should
my formula be? I also need one for YEAR. Thank you. Connie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can either just link to the date like

=A2

then use a custom format of mmm

or you can use

=TEXT(A2,"mmm")

MONTH will return a number and for March it would return 3 which equal
01/03/1900
thus it would return January

Peo Sjoblom

"Connie Martin" wrote in message
I used the formula =MONTH(H2) but it's giving me 'Jan' whereas it should be
giving me 'Mar'. The column with the dates is formated as date. What
should
my formula be? I also need one for YEAR. Thank you. Connie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you everyone. The simple =H2 works. I don't know why =MONTH(H2) was
giving me 'Jan' because the date in the column was 30-Mar-99, and it was
formatted as a date, therefore it should've given me Mar or 3, whichever, but
I was getting Jan or 1. Made no sense. Even when I do =H2 I only get Mar,
so I don't have to format the column. This spreadsheet was downloaded from
SAP, but like I said I formatted the column to date format. Anyway, as long
as I've got the result I want, that's great! Thank you!

"Connie Martin" wrote:

I used the formula =MONTH(H2) but it's giving me 'Jan' whereas it should be
giving me 'Mar'. The column with the dates is formated as date. What should
my formula be? I also need one for YEAR. Thank you. Connie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As I said dates in Excel are serial numbers where one day equals 1 and they
start on Jan 0 1900 which means your MONTH formula returns 3 thus Excel see
it as the 3rd of January 1900 so it makes sense it will return Jan