Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fhl fhl is offline

Default format function

I'm in excel 2000. I have no protection set on the sheet or workbook; nor
any conditional formatting in the cells. I select a range of cells that I
want to format, when I go to format in the toolbar and click on cells nothing
happens. Any ideas on what to look for to allow "format" to be functional
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 30, 1:43 pm, fhl wrote:
I'm in excel 2000. I have no protection set on the sheet or workbook; nor
any conditional formatting in the cells. I select a range of cells that I
want to format, when I go to format in the toolbar and click on cells nothing
happens. Any ideas on what to look for to allow "format" to be functional
would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "go to format in the toolbar and click on cells"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fhl fhl is offline

After I select the cells, I put the cursor on format in the toolbar, that
brings up a drop down, wherer I select cells --------- it then does nothign
and returns my to the worksheet ratherthan showing me teh format options.

"Spiky" wrote:

On Apr 30, 1:43 pm, fhl wrote:
I'm in excel 2000. I have no protection set on the sheet or workbook; nor
any conditional formatting in the cells. I select a range of cells that I
want to format, when I go to format in the toolbar and click on cells nothing
happens. Any ideas on what to look for to allow "format" to be functional
would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "go to format in the toolbar and click on cells"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Probably means "go to format in the toolbar and click on cells" as in

FormatCells

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:33:27 -0700 (PDT), Spiky wrote:

On Apr 30, 1:43 pm, fhl wrote:
I'm in excel 2000. I have no protection set on the sheet or workbook; nor
any conditional formatting in the cells. I select a range of cells that I
want to format, when I go to format in the toolbar and click on cells nothing
happens. Any ideas on what to look for to allow "format" to be functional
would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "go to format in the toolbar and click on cells"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fhl fhl is offline

Gord Dibben

Please see my original question --any ideas about that?? Not sure why
Spiky asked a second question

Thanks

On Apr 30, 1:43 pm, fhl wrote:
I'm in excel 2000. I have no protection set on the sheet or workbook; nor
any conditional formatting in the cells. I select a range of cells that I
want to format, when I go to format in the toolbar and click on cells nothing
happens. Any ideas on what to look for to allow "format" to be functional
would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "go to format in the toolbar and click on cells"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I saw the original but have no answer other than to google or search MS KB
articles.

I seem to remember one of the versions losing the ability to open Options from
ToolsOptions.

Gord

On Apr 30, 1:43 pm, fhl wrote:
I'm in excel 2000. I have no protection set on the sheet or workbook; nor
any conditional formatting in the cells. I select a range of cells that I
want to format, when I go to format in the toolbar and click on cells nothing
happens. Any ideas on what to look for to allow "format" to be functional
would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "go to format in the toolbar and click on cells"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 30, 1:43 pm, fhl wrote:
I'm in excel 2000. I have no protection set on the sheet or workbook; nor
any conditional formatting in the cells. I select a range of cells that I
want to format, when I go to format in the toolbar and click on cells nothing
happens. Any ideas on what to look for to allow "format" to be functional
would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "go to format in the toolbar and click on cells"?

Sorry, I think you mean Menu, not Toolbar. Since there are many
formatting buttons in Toolbars, I wasn't sure what you meant. Anyway,
I get it now.

I don't remember anything specific about XL2000 on this topic. But
does this happen in every file or just a particular one? I have seen
files get corrupted in similar ways and just not work right. Sometimes
creating a new file and copying the data to it will fix the problem.

I guess my only other thought is to double-check that nothing is
Protected.