Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default highlight selected cells in excel and blackout others for sharing

This is a suggestion for excel. I would like to be able to highlight certain
cells and click a button or right click and choose an option that would black
out the other cells. Example: I am showing an employee their information on a
payroll spreadsheet which also contains other employee's confidential
information.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you can make use of macros in your environment, the following subroutine
can be attached to a CommandButton placed on the worksheet (or a button
placed on the toolbar even) or simply executed via pressing Alt+F8...

Sub ToggleItems()
Dim C As Range
If Selection.Count = 1 Then Exit Sub
If IsNull(Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Interior.Col orIndex) Then
Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
Else
For Each C In Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange
If Intersect(C, Selection) Is Nothing Then
If Len(C.Value) Then C.Interior.Color = C.Font.Color
End If
Next

The way it works is if you have more than one cell selected, all the
non-selected cells will be blacked-out (have their interior color changed to
the same color as the font's color). When activated a second time, the macro
will remove all the black-outs. Note... you will not want to leave your
employee alone with the worksheet as selecting the blacked out cells will
make their content readable.

You could even activate the macro via a right mouse click using event code
something like this...

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
Cancel As Boolean)
Dim C As Range
If Selection.Count 1 Then
Cancel = True
If IsNull(Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Interior.Col orIndex) Then
Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
Else
For Each C In Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange
If Intersect(C, Selection) Is Nothing Then
If Len(C.Value) Then C.Interior.Color = C.Font.Color
End If
Next

although, as written, the above will remove the normal right click
functionality when more than one cell is selected.

Rick

"Brian Pruett" <Brian wrote in message
This is a suggestion for excel. I would like to be able to highlight
certain
cells and click a button or right click and choose an option that would
black
out the other cells. Example: I am showing an employee their information
on a
payroll spreadsheet which also contains other employee's confidential
information.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 6, 6:20*pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
Perhaps a simple DataFilterAutofilter would suffice?

Gord Dibben *MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 22:53:01 -0700, Brian Pruett <Brian

wrote:
This is a suggestion for excel. I would like to be able to highlight certain
cells and click a button or right click and choose an option that would black
out the other cells. Example: I am showing an employee their information on a
payroll spreadsheet which also contains other employee's confidential
information.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...?mid=1677....- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Gord Dibben, just Filter it before your customer arrives
then its all in place for you to show them. Much quicker and simpler.