Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default VLOOKUP should be and easy one

Please don't multi-post
Posted the reply below to your multi-post in .newusers
----------------------------
You could use MATCH
Eg assuming the years (2008, 2007, etc) are numbers entered in B1 across
then in say, A20: =MATCH(2008,$1:$1,0)
will return the col number for 2008
---------------------------

The above MATCH, if used in an OFFSET,
could look something like this:
=OFFSET(A1:A5,,MATCH(2008,$1:$1,0)-1)
which will return the col array in rows 1-5
where "2008" is found in the 1st row
--
Max
Singapore
"904allen" wrote:
I have a table that the headers are years 2004,2005, 2006 etc, is there a way
that insist of listing which column to look in that i can reference a cell
that has the year init and have excell look in that column.