Mikey

Default Return Value from a different worksheet

I have a range of cells within a row which I desire to determine the maximum
value. In the row that contains the cell with the maximum value I desire to
retrieve the value of a specific cell within that row. I then want to compare
that value to a cell range in a row on a different worksheet and then return
a value in the adjacent cell of that row.
Biff

Hi!

Since you didn't give any details as to where all these
values are located, here's a generic formula that will do
what you want:

=VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(MAX(A1:A10),A1:E10,4,0),Sheet2!A1 :B10,2,0)

Looks up the MAX value in sheet1 A1:A10. Returns the value
in the 4th column of the lookup table and uses that value
as the lookup value for the lookup table in sheet2 and
returns the corresponding value in column 2.

What happens if there are duplicate MAX values?

Biff

I have a range of cells within a row which I desire to

determine the maximum
value. In the row that contains the cell with the maximum

value I desire to
retrieve the value of a specific cell within that row. I

then want to compare
that value to a cell range in a row on a different

worksheet and then return
a value in the adjacent cell of that row.
.

Mikey

Thanks Biff, but it appears the VLOOKUP function doesn't exactly perform the
function I need.

Here is the situation:

I have a column of items available for bid,
I have multiple colums for the bidders, 1 for each unique bidder with a
unique bidder number assigned.

If a bidder places a bid on a specfic item the bid value is placed in the
cell in the column with his bidder number and in the row of the specific item.

A second sheet has a two columns, one for the bidder number and one for the
bidder name.

I want the function to

1. Determine the high bidder for each row, in the event that more than 1
bidder each had the high bid then perhaps some sort of indicator could appear.
2. If there is a single high bidder for the item I want to identify the
bidder Number in that specific column.
3. I then want to look at the second sheet, find that bidder number and
return the bidders name.

Your help is extremely gracious and much appreciated.