Edye

Default Match text to another worksheet and return a certain value

I have 2 worksheets. The first is essentially a 2-column sheet that has
names in column A and numbers in column B. For example, column A would be
"George" and column B would be $20.00 (his hourly rate). On worksheet 2, I
have a column that has some of the names from the worksheet 1 column A. I
would like to have a column on worksheet2 that spits out the worksheet 1
column B value ($20) whenever the worksheet1 column A value (George) is found
on worksheet 2.
Edye

Ok...forget the George/hourly thing. I'm just going to go ahead and confuse
you with the real data.
I fiddled around and got part of it. By using the Lookup Wizard I got this
formula:
=INDEX(Contracts!$A$1:$B$243, MATCH("CONTRACT 1206",Contracts!$A$1:$A$243,),
MATCH("Price",Contracts!$A$1:$B$1,))

My lookup worksheet is called "Contracts" and contains 2 columns: A is the
Contract # (in format "CONTRACT ####") and B is the hourly price of the
corresponding contract in column A. My second wksht is an exported table
from FoxPro that lists each invoice on which a contract hour was used. That
second wksht has 2 main columns: C is the contract # (in format "CONTRACT
####") and E is where I need the hourly rate of that contract to go.

The above formula works, except I don't want to have to change "CONTRACT
1206" for each line.

Thanks in advance.
"Edye" wrote:

I have 2 worksheets. The first is essentially a 2-column sheet that has
names in column A and numbers in column B. For example, column A would be
"George" and column B would be $20.00 (his hourly rate). On worksheet 2, I
have a column that has some of the names from the worksheet 1 column A. I
would like to have a column on worksheet2 that spits out the worksheet 1
column B value ($20) whenever the worksheet1 column A value (George) is found
on worksheet 2.

Edye

See...if I verbalize my problem, I can usually figure it out on my own.
Cancel all my help requests (for now). I changed the "CONTRACT xxxx" in my
formula to the Column C cell. Duh!!!