Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Budget functon

In a budget I set up, I need one column to calculate if the amount paid is
over the budget amount and another column if it is under the column amount.
I can't figure out how to enter a formula that works in Excel 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

If your budget amount is in A1 and your actual amount is in B1, C1 could be:

=IF(B1A1,B1-A1,"")

and D1 could be:

=IF(B1<A1,B1-A1,"")

HTH
Jim

"bankercrystal" wrote:

In a budget I set up, I need one column to calculate if the amount paid is
over the budget amount and another column if it is under the column amount.
I can't figure out how to enter a formula that works in Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I put the formula in and the cell is only showing the formula and not showing
the result. I;m not sure what I did wrong. Also, how do I make the formula
go into each cell in a column without changing it in each cell?

"bankercrystal" wrote:

In a budget I set up, I need one column to calculate if the amount paid is
over the budget amount and another column if it is under the column amount.
I can't figure out how to enter a formula that works in Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If it is showing the formula rather than the result, it sounds as if you've
got the cell formatted as text. Format as General and re-enter the formula.

To fill down the column, double-click the square fill handle at the bottom
right-hand corner of the cell. [Otherwise drag the fill handle down the
column, or copy the cell, select the rest of the column and paste.]
--
David Biddulph

"bankercrystal" wrote:

In a budget I set up, I need one column to calculate if the amount paid
is
over the budget amount and another column if it is under the column
amount.
I can't figure out how to enter a formula that works in Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So close, the one column of my budget now shows the correct #'s, the other
column only shows the formula. I have general in for the cell. I'm not sure
what to do now. I have re-entered the info etc....nothing.