Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default calculate which cells arrives first

I am trying to create a calculate that determines whether or not we
reach a date first or reach a number first. The calculation is for a
retirement date of 30yrs which is in on cell and the other cell has a
calcation for age & years of service. I want to determine whether or
not the 30yrs date is reached before the age + service time reaches
80. I want to know which hits the target first. The set-up is as
follows:

Date of Birth
Date Hired
30 yrs - using EDATE from date hired plus 360 months
current age - using DATEDIF (dob cell,today,"Y")
yrs of serv - using DATEDIF (date hired cell,today,"Y")
age & serv - simply using current age + yrs of service cell)

I am trying to show which cell arrives at its specific destination
first:
*does the 30yr cell (which is a date) arrive at 30yrs before
*age & service arrive at 80 factor first which is a number.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's the math for your problem:

For every year of service, the "magic age" reduces by 2, because you have a
year of service, and an increase in age. So the formula is:

Age + YOS*2 = 80

As you need 30 years of service, substitute for YOS:

Age + 30*2 = 80
Age = 80 - 30*2
Age = 20

So you can simply go on hire age. If the person was under age 20 when hired,
they will hit 30 years of service first. Anyone 20 or older will hit the "80
and out" first.

Regards,
Fred.

wrote in message
I am trying to create a calculate that determines whether or not we
reach a date first or reach a number first. The calculation is for a
retirement date of 30yrs which is in on cell and the other cell has a
calcation for age & years of service. I want to determine whether or
not the 30yrs date is reached before the age + service time reaches
80. I want to know which hits the target first. The set-up is as
follows:

Date of Birth
Date Hired