Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Exceeding Limit on Nested IF Statements

I am converting a budget spreadsheet from Lotus 1-2-3 to Excel. Excel's
limit on nested IF statements is creating my biggest challenge. I have
budget and actual columns next to one another for each month. A Lotus
formula reads from a cell identifying the current month that requires 12 if
statements. [i.e. (If month = January, add one column, if february add two
columns, ...if December add 12 columns.)] What is my Excel alternative to
nested if's in this situation?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Who could say? Show us your data, then we can provide you with an Excel
formula. You might find that IF is not involved, at all, in Excel. With a
data input example and a resultant answer, we can help.

Tyro

"rwohlner" wrote in message
I am converting a budget spreadsheet from Lotus 1-2-3 to Excel. Excel's
limit on nested IF statements is creating my biggest challenge. I have
budget and actual columns next to one another for each month. A Lotus
formula reads from a cell identifying the current month that requires 12
if
statements. [i.e. (If month = January, add one column, if february add
two
columns, ...if December add 12 columns.)] What is my Excel alternative to
nested if's in this situation?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

One solution is to use an indirect function:

=SUM(INDIRECT("R5C2:R5C"&$B$7+1,FALSE))

In this example the data is in row 5 and starts at column b (R5C2) and it
continues for the next n columns as shown by B7 which holds 1 for Jan, 2 for
Feb etc.

you need to adjust the b7 value by the indented columns here one column, so
plus one.

This solution requires that you have a separate sheet linked to source data
to get the results with twelve consecutive columns of data.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand