Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date Difference

Hello,

I have a forumla from the help that allows me to calculate the difference
between two dates without weekends which is =NETWORKDAYS(D22,E22) and works
great. However, I have two questions:

1. How do I get it to start from the next day instead of include the first
date? i.e. 12/6/2007 - 12/12/2007 should be 4 workdays. I don't want to
include 12/6/2007.

2. What if another user opens this spreadsheet and doesn't have the tool pak
installed. Will the date formula still work? I ask because I had to install
the tool pak on my computer.

Thanks!!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To answer question 1. =NETWORKDAYS(D22,E22)-1
To answer question 2. NETWORKDAYS requires the Analysis Toolpak to be
installed. If it's not, the user will get a #NAME? error as Excel will
not recognize the function.

Tyro

"Stockwell43" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a forumla from the help that allows me to calculate the difference
between two dates without weekends which is =NETWORKDAYS(D22,E22) and
works
great. However, I have two questions:

1. How do I get it to start from the next day instead of include the first
date? i.e. 12/6/2007 - 12/12/2007 should be 4 workdays. I don't want to
include 12/6/2007.

2. What if another user opens this spreadsheet and doesn't have the tool
pak
installed. Will the date formula still work? I ask because I had to
install
the tool pak on my computer.

Thanks!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Tyro, thank you for your reply.

Ok, I got number and works perfectly! For number two, how can I make number
work correctly without the toolpak? I hate to take a chase on sending this to
people and they can't obtain the information. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, if they are using Excel 2007, NETWORKDAYS is included without having
to install the Analysis Toolpak which is required only for earlier versions.
NETWORKDAYS also allows you to specify a range of holidays to exclude. I
don't know anyway to get what the function provides without having to write
VBA code to accomplish what the function does. The VBA function would have
to calculate the dates differences taking weekends and holidays into
account. Perhaps a workaround exists, but I don't know of it.

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How does that handle holidays?

Tyro

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The same way this formula does...

=NETWORKDAYS(D22,E22)

which is the formula that the OP originally posted and said works great.

Rick

et...

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps the OP doesn't care about holidays. But that makes the OP's
NETWORKDAYS inaccurate. Holidays are important. I once worked for a
university that closed for two weeks spanning Christmas and New Year's. All
employees got paid for those two weeks as paid holidays in addtion to the
regular holidays. The NETWORKDAYS for that two week period was zero. To be
accurate NETWORKDAYS has to take every holiday into account.

Regards,

Tyro

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
The same way this formula does...

=NETWORKDAYS(D22,E22)

which is the formula that the OP originally posted and said works great.

Rick

et...

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay, although I'll still note that holidays are optional in NETWORKDAYS...
assuming the holiday dates are listed in H1:H20 (whether there are 20 listed
holidays or not)...

=E22-D22-SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(D22),MONTH(D22),DAY(D22)+ROW(IN DIRECT("1:"&(E22-D22)))),2)5))-SUMPRODUCT((D22<=H1:H20)*(E22=H1:H20))

where the last SUMPRODUCT is the optional holidays list.

Rick

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Perhaps the OP doesn't care about holidays. But that makes the OP's
NETWORKDAYS inaccurate. Holidays are important. I once worked for a
university that closed for two weeks spanning Christmas and New Year's.
All employees got paid for those two weeks as paid holidays in addtion to
the regular holidays. The NETWORKDAYS for that two week period was zero.
To be accurate NETWORKDAYS has to take every holiday into account.

Regards,

Tyro

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
The same way this formula does...

=NETWORKDAYS(D22,E22)

which is the formula that the OP originally posted and said works great.

Rick

et...