Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Matching content of one worsheet against another

Hi

I need help matching two worksheets in the same workbook.

In Ws1 , I have a list of numbers running down column A from A1 to
A5000.

In Ws2 , I have a list of numbers running down column A from A1 to A5000
too.

I need a formula to match the two sets of numbers. If there is a match ,
then column B in WS1 should show 'match' against the appropriate number
if it appears also in Ws2. Where there is no match this could be shown
as 'No Match'.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In article , Dave Peterson
writes
Chip Pearson has lots of techniques to work with duplicates:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

HI

OK thanks for the link.

I'm afraid Chip assumes a lot knowledge I just don't have , I'm afraid ,
so I wasn't able to find the answer to my question.

Best Wishes

Colin Hayes wrote:

Hi

I need help matching two worksheets in the same workbook.

In Ws1 , I have a list of numbers running down column A from A1 to
A5000.

In Ws2 , I have a list of numbers running down column A from A1 to A5000
too.

I need a formula to match the two sets of numbers. If there is a match ,
then column B in WS1 should show 'match' against the appropriate number
if it appears also in Ws2. Where there is no match this could be shown
as 'No Match'.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Are you aware that we also buy CDs, Vinyl and DVDs? Send your lists of
unwanted items to and well quote you a price€¦

You can browse and buy direct from my full list of items at these addresses :

http://s1.amazon.co.uk/exec/varzea/t.../026-3393902-9
050050

or:

http://www.CDandVinyl.co.uk

or :

http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/chayes

or:

http://chayes.musicstack.com

To DOWNLOAD the full catalogue click here :

http://www.chayes.demon.co.uk/CDandV..._catalogue.exe

Best Wishes ,

Colin Hayes.

TEL / FAX : (UK) (0)208 804 9181
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

in B1 of sheet1:
=isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))
And drag down.

In B1 of sheet2:
=isnumber(match(a1,Sheet1!a:a,0))
and drag down

You'll see True for matches and Falses for no match.

Colin Hayes wrote:

In article , Dave Peterson
writes

Colin Hayes wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In article , Dave Peterson
writes
in B1 of sheet1:
=isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))
And drag down.

In B1 of sheet2:
=isnumber(match(a1,Sheet1!a:a,0))
and drag down

You'll see True for matches and Falses for no match.

HI

OK Thanks for that.

I put the formula in , substituting my own sheets names for sheet1 and
sheet2 as show in the formula above.

They all seem to show FALSE , even for those I can see in both sheets.
Also , a pop-up keeps appearing asking me to input a filename. The popup
heading is 'update values: current'.

Secondly , it needs to match the number , *wherever* it appears in the
list , not just specific cell-by-cell. Sorry if that wasn't clear
before.

Thanks again.

Colin Hayes wrote:

In article , Dave Peterson