Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Bob is offline

Default If statements

I am trying to insert a result of an if statement into a column that has some
blank spaces but also has some correct values the same column. I want to
build a Macro that would include this statement. How do keep from overwriting
the cells that have the appropriate values when I drag the formula down the
column? =IF(E:E="Default",80, ). It creates a circular reference if I
include the column (F:F),
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Think you could try something along these lines

Suppose you want to insert the value: XX into col A for any blank cells and
retain any existing values for the non-blank cells

You could put in B1: =IF(A1="","XX",A1)
Copy B1 down as far as required. Then copy col B and overwrite col A with a
paste special as values. Delete col B to clean up.
--
Max
Singapore