flgc54

Default Can vlookup or hlookup look to other worksheets within a workbook.

Trying to use vlookup or hlookup in a multiple worsheet workbook. I need to
look at a cell and match to a range of cells in a table on another worksheet
then return another cells data. The lookup command is exactly what i need
but doesn't appear to allow the lookup range to be outside of hte current
worksheet. I have been able to work arounf this out by recreating the
original lookup range within the worksheet containing the Xlookup command
with a simple = command within the current worksheet. The redundency of this
and it's complexity with multiple lookup commands within multiple worksheets
(most of which are looking for various data contained in a range in a single
worksheet) is getting considerably less than elegant. Any other functions I
should look at? Any other ideas?
Ken

The second argument in the VLOOKUP function asks for the "Table_Array." This
is where you can reference another worksheet. For example-

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B3,2,FALSE)

This formula takes the entry in cell A1, goes to Sheet2, and looks in the
range A1:B3. If a match to A1 from Sheet1 is found in column A of Sheet2, it
returns the cell contents from column C of Sheet2.

Hope this helps.